Ultra-pure water (UPW), high-purity water or highly purified water (HPW) is water that has been purified to uncommonly stringent specifications. Ultra-pure water is a term commonly used in the semiconductor industry to emphasize the fact that the water is treated to the highest levels of purity for all contaminant types, including: organic and inorganic compounds; dissolved and particulate matter; volatile and non-volatile; reactive, and inert; hydrophilic and hydrophobic; and dissolved gases. Ultra-pure water is mainly used in the semiconductor and pharmaceutical industry.
Other applications of ultra-pure water are -
1. Ultra-pure water is often used as a critical utility for cleaning applications.
2. It is also used to generate clean steam for sterilization.
3. Boiler Feed Water.
4. Combustion Turbine Power Augmentation (Wet Compression)
5. Manufacturing (Such as Glass Production, Electronics Fabrication, and Metal
6. Hydrogen Generation from Electrolyzers.
7. Any process Requiring High Purity Water